Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Capturing Open Arms Through a Lens

This week's post is from Kurt Moses, who has been one of the many talented photographers to have documented Open Arms events, volunteers and clients over the years. You've seen his work throughout the pages of Scoop (our newsletter) and our Annual Report. He has been documenting the construction of our building as of late, including documenting our recent Tree Topping Ceremony last week (10/13). We asked him to blog about his experiences with Open Arms.

My photography says something about my vision of the world. I attempt to capture honest moments that tell a story. In order to capture such moments, I have to invest part of myself in each and every subject I photograph. I believe if you are genuinely invested in your subject, the image will convey the reality of the moment.

When I first started photographing events for Open Arms of MN http://www.kurtco.com/Siyaya21st ), I was preoccupied with the technical aspect of event photography. What type of light is available? Indoor or outdoor setting? What is the client looking for: group shots, candid? Who is who? and so on. Although technical details are important , ultimately photographing a moment that truly captures the essence of the subject, is the goal.

Recently, I have had the opportunity to document the construction of the new Open Arms building. Similar to photographing people, I had to find a way to capture the structure's personality. The shapes and the lines of this building are energetic and welcoming similar to the personalities that will be working there. I enjoy capturing the rawness of the construction and making it look intriguing. ( http://www.kurtco.com/OAConstructionNight. ) And most recently, I was able to capture the tree topping ceremony last week.




What I have observed through my camera these past few years, and what struck me the most are the people of Open Arms of MN. Their dedication, passion and tireless efforts to helping those in need are a great source of inspiration to me personally as well as professionally.

I believe I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to document a part of their history and growth through my pictures. -Kurt Moses




No comments:

Post a Comment