Food Day is this week! We invite you to join us Wednesday night at 6 p.m. to screen the movie Food Fight. This movie touches on many of the current issues being discussed about the food system right now, with an overview of how we got here. It also covers some inspiring people and organizations that are making a difference in their community.
Topics covered in Food Fight:
- The role our food system has on the incline of obesity and chronic diseases.
- Social patterns that have developed over time to influence our food choices.
- How Earl Butz influenced the food system as the Secretary of Agriculture in the 1970’s.
- How do the Farm Bill and subsidies play into the equation?
- What are people doing in the community to address their concerns?
- How can we address food deserts?
- What’s happening with school meals?
Following the movie, we will have a lively panel discussion featuring local experts. They will respond to the movie and answer questions from the audience.
The panel includes:
- Tricia Cornell, Local author and cookbook writer
- Lindsay Rebhan, Urban Farm Consultant
- Mike Venker, Vice Chair of Open Arms Board and Cargill representative
- Rita Panton, Open Arms Kitchen Manager and Farm Liaison
- Ben Penner, Open Arms Farm Director