I decided to make this recipe as a surprise for the women I live with. Who doesn’t want to wake up and have cookies with their coffee? These lasted all about two mornings in my home. That is what happens when you put seven young women in one house!
Photo courtesy: Xanthia, Food.com
Vegan Almond Biscotti
Adapted from Food.com
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached cane sugar
3/4 cup smooth unsweetened applesauce
1-3 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups almonds, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325°F and lightly spray two cookie sheets. (I didn’t have non-stick spray so I used Earth balance butter on the pans to keep the cookies from sticking)
2. In a large bowl, combine together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, applesauce, oil (1TBS for a hard biscotti, 2-3 TBS for a softer biscotti), and extracts.
4. Stir the sugar mixture into the flour mixture, add the almonds; finish mixing with your hands.
5. With floured hands, shape the dough into two 3-inch wide “logs” about ¾ inch thick, with the ends squared off. (Floured hands are key because the mixture is very sticky!)
6. Place these on the cookie sheets and bake for about 25 minutes.
7. Remove the pans and reduce the oven heat to 300°F.
8. Cool the logs on a rack for around 15 minutes
9. Cut the logs carefully with a sharp knife straight across into ½ inch wide slices.
10. Place the slices cut side down on the cookie sheets and bake 5-10 minutes, or until golden on the bottom.
11. Turn the slices over and cook 5-10 minutes more, or until golden on bottom.
12. Let them cool and enjoy them with a hot cup of coffee or plain!