Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Weekly Recipe #141: Cornbread Stuffing with Dried Cranberry Stuffing

Recipe from Asei Tendle, Food Services Director at Open Arms 

You may have seen our very own Asei Tendle on your home television or fancy mobile device recently. This week we're proud to share his great recipe for a classic holiday side dish, as seen on FOX 9!

Asei says it feels good to be able to use his skills as a chef to provide meals to folks who really need it.  During the holiday season, this hits particularly close to home. Folks with life-threatening illnesses need a dose of kindness, generosity, and the creature comforts that a traditional holiday meal can provide.

This is where you come in. Your gift of $50 puts food on their tables and warmth in their hearts. Just listen to what a few of our clients - our friends - had to say about the wonderful meals you made possible last year.

“I just wanted to thank you again for helping me.  After we got off the phone I cried and cried - I had not realized how stressed I was about feeding myself and how scared at how sick I was getting.  
By feeding my family you have also allowed me to forgive myself for what I had deemed a bad mother or wife who is too sick to cook for herself let alone her family. 
You have brought some normalcy back into our lives and for that I am truly grateful.  One day I will pass this on - your gift to me and my family will not be forgotten.” ~Client Wendy

A Turkey Meal Sponsorship doesn’t just provide a holiday meal for those who might have otherwise gone without, it puts a smile on another person’s face. As Client Joe put it, “This is such a treat! This is like Christmas in November!”

Head on over to our Turkey Drive page to donate, then let Asei walk you through his family recipe below!

Cornbread Stuffing with Dried Cranberry Stuffing


Ingredients
  • 6 cups Cornbread crumbled
  • 7 slices dried white bread
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups celery, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 7 cups chicken stock
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup sage chopped
  • 1/2 cup parsley chopped
  • 1 cup dry cranberry

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, combine crumbled cornbread, dried white bread slices; set aside.

3. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Pour the vegetable mixture over cornbread mixture. Add the stock, mix well, taste, and add salt, pepper to taste, sage, and parsley. Serve with turkey as a side dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment