Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Weekly Recipe #115: Apple Chicken Quesadillas


By Rylee Ahnen, University of Minnesota Nutrition Major

Sometimes I find myself debating whether I want to eat something that tastes good, or if I want to eat something that is good for me. As a nutrition student I should know that there are plenty of foods that can be both, but like they say – old habits die hard. So today I’m going to share a recipe with you that is a standard go-to in my apartment when it’s my turn to cook dinner for my roommates and I want to practice what I preach about healthy eating.


Apple Chicken Quesadillas
(From www.simplyrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
4 Flour Tortillas
1 cup Grilled Chicken (Shredded)
¼ lb Cheese, any kind works (Grated)
1 large Granny Smith Apple (Thinly Sliced)
½ cup Salsa

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet heat a tortilla on high heat, flipping so both sides begin to brown.
  2. Sprinkle ¼ of your cheese on one half of the tortilla. Place ¼ of your chicken on top of the cheese.
  3. Fold the tortilla so the other half is pressing down on the cheese.  Flip the tortilla and cook until cheese is melted.
  4. Once cheese has melted, remove tortilla.  Open tortilla and place apple slices and salsa on top of chicken.  Re-fold the tortilla.
  5. Serve hot and enjoy the guilt free deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment