Monday, November 15, 2010

CHRIS: SNAP Challenge - Mon Afternoon Update

Had to stop what I was doing and actually think about what the kids were going to have for an after school snack. They're home in just over an hour. What do I have, under the new regime?

No processed, packaged treats like Goldfish, pretzels, crackers, granola bars. No sweets or baked goods, homemade or otherwise. Not even a selection of different fruit from which they can choose. It better be something substantial, after their light breakfast. And who knows how lunch went over today. I have no idea how long two loaves of bread will last so the default option cant be Toast, toast and more toast - that puts too much pressure on the butter supply!

Have to save the popcorn for after dinner. Why? I dont know. So here's my idea - bake a couple of the smaller potatoes so they are cooked and warm when they get home. And sprinkle with a little of the cheese from the one bag we bought for the week (8 oz bag, not Costco/Sams Club giant sized!). That'll be filling I hope, and I know Marley loves baked potatoes. At least she did when we had sour cream and bacon and lots of butter to put on them. She has circus practice tonight and will need some energy for that. And one of our four apples, cut up (whatever apple they don't eat, I can mash up and use in breakfast oatmeal or as a topping for potato pancakes).

As far as reactions to the above go, color me pessimistic.





1 comment:

  1. Nice solution Chris! I'd kind of love coming home to a hot potato!

    ReplyDelete